RE: 2022 RENEWAL NOTICE
Please read all social work continuing education and license renewal guidelines in the rules and regulations regarding social workers (see Part 1902, Chapter 4, Rule 4.1 & 4.2, pages 58-69) on the web at www.swmft.ms.gov before submitting your renewal application. There has been some important changes to the rules and regulations for social workers.
The following items should be submitted as instructed:
- Renewal Application, signed, and notarized. Please review before submission.
- Evidence of Forty (40) Hour of Social Work Continuing Education: Please list a maximum of 40 continuing education hours which must include four (4) ethics hours, two (2) hours of cultural diversity, and one (1) hour of mandated reporting on the enclosed continuing education form. Do NOT submit certificates or copies of certificates unless you are being audited. Licensees renewing for the first time are NOT REQUIRED to submit continuing education hours, but if you have previously renewed any social work license, continuing education is required. Please see special instructions under Recent News regarding online hours. Unused continuing education (CE) hours or carryover that were completed within three (3) years prior to the current expiration date of your license may carried over from one renewal to the next. All unused CE hours must be maintained by the licensee and not by the Board.
- Renewal Fee: $110.00 payable by money order or cashier’s check only to MSBOE SW/MFT.
- Beginning, 7/1/2020, Licensees who were licensed before 1/1/2011, and do not have a fingerprint criminal history record information check on file with the Board, must submit to a current fingerprint criminal history record information check. Please visit www.swmft.ms.gov to download the request for fingerprint card form and return with $50.00 processing fee to the Board.
- Please submit renewals to the Board office by March 30, 2022 to insure that your renewal is processed before the expiration date of your license which is April 30, 2022. See Recent News on our website for more renewal information.
On-line renewal will be offered to licensees beginning 3/1/2022 and ending 4/30/2022 at midnight. Go to www.swmft.ms.gov and follow instructions carefully. You will be charged a convenience fee in addition to your renewal fee for online renewals. First-time renewals cannot renew online. You must submit the enclosed renewal form. Please remember all renewals are subject to a random audit. Maintain documentation of your continuing education hours for a period of at least four years.
If your employer requires proof that your license has been renewed before the expiration date of your social work license, you must submit your renewal application to the Board on or before March 30, 2022.
RENEWAL APPLICATIONS MAILED OR HAND-DELIVERED MUST BE IN THE BOARD’S OFFICE BY 5 P.M., FRIDAY, APRIL 30, 2022 OR YOUR LICENSE WILL BE CONSIDERED LAPSED. A licensee SHALL NOT practice social work during the lapsed period.
Renewal applications received in the Board office are date stamped and reviewed for corrections. Renewals needing corrections are immediately mailed back to licensee. Renewal Applications received after April 30, 2022 but before May 30, 2022 will be required to submit a $55.00 late fee in addition to the renewal fee. Renewal applications received after May 30, 2022 shall be eligible reinstated by following the reinstatement process. A license that has lapsed for more than two (2) years cannot be renewed or reinstated. It is unlawful to practice social work with a lapsed license. Licensees working in a position as social worker with an expired license are subject to disciplinary sanctions by the Board such as revocation or suspension of license.
If you foresee hardships/problems (i.e. health issues) with the submission of your renewal, please review all social work continuing education and license renewal guidelines in the rules and regulations regarding social workers (pages 58-69). The waiver form can be found at our website.